Filterra is similar to bioretention in its function and application, but has been optimized for high volume/flow treatment and high pollutant removal. Its small footprint allows it to be used on highly developed sites such as landscaped areas, parking lots and streetscapes. Filterra is exceedingly adaptable and can be used alone or in combination with other BMPs.How Filterra Works
Stormwater runoff enters the Filterra system through a curb-inlet opening or pipe and flows through a specially designed filter media mixture contained in a landscaped concrete container. The filter media captures and immobilizes pollutants; those pollutants are then decomposed, volatilized and incorporated into the biomass of the Filterra system’s micro/macro fauna and flora. Stormwater runoff flows through the media and into an underdrain system at the bottom of the container, where the treated water is discharged.
Filterra Features and Benefits
High media flow rate (up to 140" per hour)
Third party field testing confirmed that Filterra meets state regulatory requirements for pollutant removal under TAPE and TARP testing
Filterra offers the most cost effective stormwater treatment system featuring low cost, easy installation and simple maintenance
Landscaping enhances the appearance of your site making it more attractive while removing pollutants
Available in multiple configurations and sizes
No confined space access, and the first year of maintenance is included with the purchase of every system
Reduced footprint compared with traditional bioretention
Adds aesthetic appeal to your site
Flexibility to meet site-specific needs
Simple and easy maintenance
Filterra Media - Proven Pollutant Removal
- Peak Diversion
- Bioscape Vault
- Filterra Bioscape
- Custom Configurations
At the heart of all Filterra systems is Filterra engineered media; a specified gradation of washed aggregate and organic material homogeneously blended under strict quality controlled conditions. Using data from studies conducted by the University of Virginia, the filter media has been optimized to operate under high flow rates (up to 140 inches/hour) while maintaining pollutant removal performance. Filterra media is tested for hydraulic functionality, fertility, and particle size distribution to ensure uniform performance. Filterra Approvals
The Filterra has been verified by some of the most stringent stormwater technology evaluation organizations in North America, including:
- Washington State Department of Ecology (GULD)
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection
- Maryland Department of the Environment (ESD)
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- City of Portland, OR Bureau of Environmental Services
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
Installation and Maintenance
- Low Impact Development, Green Infrastructure, and Environmental Site Design
- High pollutant removal requirements
- New construction and urban retrofits
- Pretreatment for above-ground or shallow below-ground storage
- Shallow, decentralized treatment
We make it easy for you...
- Vegetation selection guidance based on your climate zone.
- On-site planting and activation included with every system.
- The first year of maintenance is included with the purchase of every system.
- Ongoing maintenance is simple.
- Clean biofiltration bay with simple landscape tools (rake and shovel).
- No confined space entry required.
- Everything can be accessed from the surface.