Cast Abrasive Safety Treads & Nosings
Wooster's quality cast treads, nosings and thresholds contain an even distribution of abrasive grit integrally cast into the surface for anti-slip protection and long wear. Width and length to order. Nosings that are set flush generally should be 3" (76.2 mm), 4" (101.6 mm) or 6" (152.4 mm) in width.
Specify Abrasive Castings For:
- Maximum Durability in Rough Use
- Indoor or Outdoor Use
- Anti-Slip Safety Properties
- Resistance to Unusually Corrosive Environments
- Ready to Install Convenience
- New Construction or Renovation
Surface: Abrasive cross-hatch is standard and will be furnished unless plain or fluted surface is specified. (Cross hatch pattern may not match up on sections being butted together.)
Fasteners: 1/4" (6.35 mm) F.H.M. plated screws and nuts with steel wing anchors for fresh concrete are standard fasteners for nosings. Countersunk holes or concealed integral anchors are also available.
Drilling: Standard drilling for nosings 3" (76.2 mm) in from ends and on approximate 12" (304.8 mm) centers in single, staggered or double row according to width. DO NOT predrill support structure before tread installation.
Length: Up to 8' 6" (2.59 m) in one piece for Alumogrit® or Ferrogrit®. These maximum lengths do not apply to structural treads or platforms. Call Wooster Products for more details on maximum structural sizes.
- FERROGRIT® Abrasive Cast Iron
- ALUMOGRIT® Abrasive Cast Aluminum
Provide Alumogrit® or Ferrogrit® type _____, size _____, safety treads/nosings as manufactured by Wooster Products, Inc. for interior and exterior stairs.
Abrasive shall be #20 virgin grain Aluminum Oxide (AL203) abrasive, integrally cast into the walking surface to a minimum depth of 1/32 inch (.79 mm).
Safety nosings up to 6" (152.4 mm) deep with cross-hatched surface being installed into wet concrete shall have a feature strip along the back edge.
Concealed type anchors shall be slotted rivet type, integrally cast into the body of the nosing a minimum of 3/8 inch (9.53 mm). (Not mushroom type.)
Cast metals used shall conform to the following specification:
- Alumogrit® (Abrasive cast aluminum): No. 43 prime and secondary ingot; low copper content; corrosion-resistant
- Ferrogrit® (Abrasive cast iron): Class 20 iron; high silicon; machinable, hypereutectic
- Any holes or countersinks shall be machine-made, cored holes or countersinks are not acceptable
- Screw heads shall not protrude above tread surface
- All metal types shall have shot-blasted finish; Ferrogrit® treads and nosings to have one coat shop black paint
- Cross hatching and fluting shall be 1/16 inch (1.59 mm) deep minimum and shall be clean and well defined; treads and nosings shall be manufactured, packed and shipped so as to arrive at the jobsite in good condition
- Nosings shall terminate not more than 4" (101.6 mm) from ends of steps for poured concrete stairs; for concrete-filled steel pan stairs, nosings shall be full length of steps, less 1/8" (3.05 mm) clearance.
Installation Note: Safety nosings going into new poured concrete or cement fill shall be installed before "INITIAL SET" of the concrete or cement occurs.
Why specify Wooster Safety Stair and Walkway Products?
- Wooster' Safety Treads and Safety Surfaces provide anti-slip protection for building occupants and pedestrians
- The use of Safety Stair and Walkway Products can help protect the Building Owner, since pedestrians will have been provided with the latest available technology for making stairs and walkways safe
- 'Wooster' Safety Treads and Safety Surfaces comply with OSHA and other Safety Surface Specifications for anti-slip safety surfaces
- A 'Wooster' specification exemplifies the finest in quality, dependability and service
- We are Safety Stair and Walkway experts! Wooster Products, Inc. has been furnishing "state-of-the-art" anti-slip Safety Treads and Safety Surfaces continuously since 1921
- Because we provide long-term solutions for your anti-skid needs
Wooster Products, Inc
P.O. Box 6005
1000 Spruce Street
Wooster, OH 44691
Tel: (800) 321-4936
Fax: (330) 262-4151
Web site: http://www.wooster-products.com