KwikFlex® Pipe & Tank Insulation
Knauf Insulation KwikFlex® Pipe and Tank Insulation is a 48" wide, semi-rigid glass mineral wool blanket, 2.5 pcf density, in roll form. It is available faced with a factory-applied ASJ, FSK or PSK vapor retarder jacket. The fiber orientation provides excellent compressive strength while maintaining flexibility for ease of installation.Application
Knauf Insulation KwikFlex Pipe and Tank Insulation is typically used on tanks, vessels and large-diameter (greater than 10") pipes. It can be used for any curved or irregular surfaces that require finished characteristics of rigid glass mineral wool insulation.Features and Benefits
Excellent Thermal Properties
- Low thermal conductivity ratings to 850°F (454°C).
- Easy to handle and fabricate.
- No need to stock multiple sizes.
- Various thicknesses available to meet all your pipe and tank insulation needs.
- Tough and durable.
- Resists damage in shipment and during and after installation.
Corrosiveness (ASTM C 665)
- Will not accelerate the corrosion of steel, copper, or aluminum.
Corrosion (ASTM C 1617)
- The corrosion rate in mils/yr will not exceed that of the 1 ppm chloride solution.
- UL/ULC Classified
- ASTM C 1393 Types I, II, IIIA, IIIB Category 2
- ASTM C 795
- NRC 1.36
- This product complies with Oregon Revised Statue 453.085 and contains less than 0.10% decabromdiphenyl ether (DecaBDE) by mass.
Temperature Range (ASTM C 411)
- Operating temperature to 850°F (454°C).
Compressive Strength (ASTM C 165)
- Not less than 25 PSF (1.2 kPa) at 10% deformation.
Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96, Procedure A)
- FSK, ASJ and PSK vapor retarders have a maximum rate of .02 perms.
Puncture Resistance (TAPPI Test T803) (Beach Units)
Resists Microbial Growth
- FSK and PSK facings: 25
- ASJ facing: 50
- Does not promote the growth of fungi or bacteria.
- Will not rot.
- Will not sustain vermin.
Surface Burning Characteristics
- UL/ULC Classified
- Does not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke Developed when tested according to ASTM E 84 and UL 723.
Linear Shrinkage (ASTM C 356) Application & Specification Guidelines
- ASJ, FSK and PSK jackets should not be used if outer-surface temperature exceeds 150°F (66°C).
- During initial heat-up to operating temperatures above 350°F (177°C), a slight odor and some smoke may be given off as a portion of the bonding material used in the insulation begins to undergo a controlled decomposition.
- If natural convection is not adequate in confined areas, forced ventilation should be provided in order to protect against any harmful fumes and vapors that might be generated.
- Care must also be taken when using sealants, solvents or flammable adhesive during installation.
- Protect stored insulation from water damage or other abuse.
- Protect from welding sparks and open flame.
- Packages are not designed for outside storage.
- Apply Knauf KwikFlex Pipe and Tank Insulation on clean, dry surfaces.
For easy installation of Knauf KwikFlex Pipe and Tank Insulation simply follow these guidelines.
- Refer to the Stretch-Out Chart to find the appropriate length to cut for the specific pipe size. Be sure to add an additional 2" (51 mm) to 4" (102 mm) for your staple flap.
- Cut your stretchout length and wrap the material around the iron pipe to ensure the proper fit.
- Staple the lap on 3" (76 mm) centers with outward clinching staples.
- Butt edges shall be firmly secured, and butt strips matching the jacket shall be applied at each joint.
Glass mineral wool may cause temporary skin irritation. Wear long-sleeved, loose-fitting clothing, head covering, gloves and eye protection when handling and applying material. Wash with soap and warm water after handling. Wash work clothes separately and rinse washer. A disposable mask designed for nuisance type dusts should be used where sensitivity to dust and airborne particles may cause irritation to the nose or throat.Glass Mineral Wool and Mold
Glass mineral wool insulation is not a food source for mold growth. However, mold can grow on almost any material when it becomes wet and contaminated. Carefully inspect any insulation that has been exposed to water. If it shows any sign of mold growth it must be discarded. If the material is wet but shows no evidence of mold, it should be dried rapidly and thoroughly. If it shows signs of facing degradation from wetting, it should be replaced.Notes
The chemical and physical properties of Knauf KwikFlex Pipe and Tank Insulation represent typical average values determined in accordance with accepted test methods. The data is subject to normal manufacturing variations. The data is supplied as a technical service and is subject to change without notice. References to numerical flame spread ratings are not intended to reflect hazards presented by these or any other materials under actual fire conditions. Check with your Knauf Insulation sales representative to assure information is current.