Vortechs® Stormwater Treatment
Vortechs is a hydrodynamic separator that combines swirl concentration and flow controls into a shallow treatment unit that traps and retains trash, debris, sediment, and hydrocarbons from stormwater runoff. Vortechs removes sediment down to 50 microns and is the ideal solution for projects that require a shallow treatment device due to groundwater, utility or bedrock constraints. Stormwater Treatment For Shallow Applications
Vortechs is a below-ground, engineered stormwater treatment device that combines swirl concentration and flow controls into a single treatment unit. Vortechs is ideal for capturing and retaining trash, debris, sediment, and hydrocarbons from stormwater runoff. The Vortechs system’s large swirl concentrator and flow controls work together to create a low energy environment, ideal for capturing and retaining particles down to 50 microns. How Vortechs Treats Stormwater
- Untreated stormwater enters the Vortechs swirl chamber through an inlet pipe.
- The swirling motion of the water within the chamber promotes gravitational separation of solids which settle on the chamber floor.
- Stormwater exits the swirl chamber, where a baffle wall traps floatables and hydrocarbons.
- Stormwater flows under the baffle wall into the flow control chamber which contains separate flow controls for peaks and low-intensity flows that are designed specific to project requirements.
- Treated stormwater flows to the outlet chamber and exits via the outlet pipe.
Vortechs Features and Benefits
1. Large swirl chamber
2. Shallow profile - Typical depth below pipe invert is only 3 feet.
3. Unobstructed access to stored pollutants
4. Numerous regulatory approvals
1. Fine particle removal down to 50 microns
2. Easy and cost-effective installation, especially on sites with high groundwater, bedrock or utility conflicts
3. Easy maintenance
4. Proven performance Vortechs Configurations
Vortechs has been tested and verified by some of the most stringent stormwater technology evaluation organizations in North America, including:
- Washington State Department of Ecology
- Stormwater quality control - trash, debris, sediment, and hydrocarbon removal
- Inlet and outlet protection
- Pretreatment for filtration, detention/infiltration, bioretention, rainwater harvesting, and Low Impact Development designs.
- Vortechs provides unobstructed access to stored pollutants, making it easy to maintain.
- Maintaining a Vortechs is a simple process that can be easily accomplished using a vacuum truck, with no requirement to enter the unit.
- Contech has created a network of Certified Maintenance Providers to provide maintenance on stormwater BMP’s.