Slotted Drain™ Corrugated Metal Pipe (CMP)
Slotted Drain pipe removes sheet flow from streets, highways, and parking lots without multiple grades or water channeling devices. The result is an aesthetically pleasing inlet that is safer and easier to install and maintain. Aesthetically Pleasing Inlet for the Removal of Surface Water
Slotted Drain is a unique pipe which removes sheet flow without multiple grades or water channeling devices.
The pipe is cut along a longitudinal axis, and a trapezoidal or straight-sided grate with reinforcing spacer plates is welded to form a 1 3/4 -inch-wide slot opening. The slot collects runoff and channels it to the pipe below from which it flows to the appropriate outlet.
Slotted Drain is fabricated from galvanized steel for excellent durability or from Aluminized Steel Type 2 (ALT2) when more corrosion resistance is required.
The result is a practical, aesthetically pleasing inlet for the removal of surface water on streets, highways, and parking lots. Designers and engineers installing walkways and promenades around sports stadiums, civic centers, shopping malls, parks and other pedestrian-traveled surfaces have used Slotted Drain as an integral part of the landscape architecture.
Unlike typical parking lots that require grades to be sloped in four directions for each storm collection grate, a parking lot with slotted drain requires only one transverse and one longitudinal slope for the entire drainage area. That translates to a lower-cost installation for the contractor and owner; and less stake-out for the engineer. Because of Slotted Drain’s efficiency in removing surface water, fewer collectors and fewer laterals under the roadway are needed.
On roadways and highways, replacing curbs and drain basins with continuous lengths of Slotted Drain opens up an obstruction-free and single grade roadside that greatly enhances the effectiveness of the shoulder to improve safety.
Slotted Drain Features and Benefits
Fabricated from Contech Corrugated Steel Pipe
Intercepts up to 50% more runoff than most standard 2’ x 2’ grate inlets
Only one transverse and one longitudinal slope
Hazardous dips and ponding grades are eliminated.
Structurally sound, supports H-20 loading
Improved drainage efficiency
Fewer collectors and fewer laterals, lower cost installation
Fewer debris problems, lower cost maintenance Slotted Drain Pipe Coatings
Slotted Drain Pipe Properties
- Galvanized Steel - Pipe made from steel coated with zinc to extend service life. The most widely used and most economical metallic coating for corrugated steel pipe
- Aluminized Steel Type 2 (ALT2) - Pipe made from steel that has been hot-dipped in commercially pure aluminum; offers 75 years or more of maintenance free service life
Slotted Drain Pipe Accessories
- 12” - 36” diameters available in 14 and 16 gauge
- 30” and 36” diameter available in 12 gauge
Slotted Drain Applications
- End Sections
- Banding Systems
- Curb inlets
- Inlet system across driveway cuts
- Shoulder drains along median barriers
- Pedestrian thoroughfares, malls and bicycle paths
- Replacements for curbs and berms where those obstacles are undesirable for safety reasons
- Ground-level floors with drainage requirements
- Parking lots or other continuous paved surfaces
- Sidelines of playing fields in stadiums
- Airport aprons, taxiways, hangars, and deicing areas
- Railroad intermodal facilities with heavy wheel loads