SOUND-ABATE - Acoustical Shielding for Wall Cavity Applications
SOUND-ABATE is a mass loaded, limp vinyl sound damping material designed for commercial, industrial, and residential applications to reduce sound transmission.
SOUND-ABATE is designed for installation behind gypsum drywall, finished surfaces to block and dampen sound transmission through the entire sound frequency spectrum.
Place SOUND-ABATE sheet in position at top of the wall. Align vertical edges over center of studs. Insert staples along top edge of sheet to hold in place. Allow SOUND-ABATE to unroll vertically along the height of the wall. Apply additional staples along vertical edge if desired. For each additional sheet of SOUND-ABATE to be installed, repeat the previous procedure. Note: Ensure vertical seems center over studs. Trim sheet if necessary. Locate any wall outlet penetrations that will require access and cut an X access point for each. Caulk floor, ceiling, and corner joints before installing drywall.
Steel Stud Installation … For installation of SOUND-ABATE Mass Loaded Vinyl sheets over steel studs, follow installation procedures for wood studs and replace staples with self-tapping, flat head metal screws.
- Dampens sound and blocks noise by up to 75%.
- Easy to install - reduces labor and production costs.
- Thin profile saves material and labor with no added extensions or adjustments
- Improves HVAC efficiency.
- One layer improves STC rating by 7 in typical wood and steel studded assemblies (16″ o.c., R13 batt insulation, and 5/8″ gypsum drywall)
- Classified by Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. as to ANSI/UL 263 Standard, Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials, UL File CLBV.R39387
- UL Classified in fire resistant wall designs of the U300, U400, and V400 series.
Masterformat Number and Title
09 81 00 - Acoustic Insulation
09 81 13 - Acoustic Board Insulation
13 48 00 - Sound, Vibration, and Seismic Control