AIR-SHIELD LSR - Air/Vapor and Liquid Moisture Barrier
Liquid Membrane Air/Vapor and Liquid Moisture Barrier
AIR-SHIELD LSR (liquid synthetic rubber) is an asphalt-free, single-component, synthetic rubber based liquid air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier. AIR-SHIELD LSR cures to form a tough, seamless, elastomeric membrane, which exhibits excellent resistance to air and moisture transmission.
AIR-SHIELD LSR has been specifically formulated to act as an air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier within the building envelope. It may be applied to most common surfaces and integrated into various wall systems. AIR-SHIELD LSR is suitable for both new construction and restoration.
- Non-asphaltic designed to meet stringent fire wall codes and requirements.
- Low permeability prevents the transmission of air and inhibits moisture and vapor from passing through porous building materials.
- Highly flexible bridges cracks, which may form in the substrate.
- Environmentally compatible AIR-SHIELD LSR is non-toxic.
- User friendly single-component, water-based technology allows for simple, safe application and easy cleanup.
- Liquid applied simplifies detailing and assures a monolithic, seamless membrane when applied to a rough or smooth surface.
- Sprayable with appropriately configured airless spray equipment low application costs.
- Excellent adhesion remains firmly bonded to the substrate, even when applied over damp surfaces.
- Low VOC content (<100 g/L). Produces no harmful odors.
- Compatible with asphalt-based emulsion products.
- UV resistant membrane can be left exposed up to four months.
5 Gallon (18.93 L) Pails
55 Gallon (208.20 L) Drums
Application Rate 17-22 ft.²/gal. (1.59 2.05 m²/3.8 L)
Wet Film Thickness 80 mil
Cured Film Thickness 40 mil (1 mm)
Coverage dependent on substrate type, weather, and application conditions.
When stored indoors in original, unopened containers at temperatures between 40 - 90°F (4 - 32°C), shelf life is one year from date of manufacture.
- ASTM E 84, Class A
- Complies with all current federal, state, and local maximum allowable VOC requirements, including U.S. EPA, LADCO, SCAQMD, and OTC.
- Complies with Canada VOC Concentration Limits for Architectural Coatings Regulations
|Solids Content, %:||56|
|VOC Content, g/L||56|
|Flexibility @ -26° C (-15° F), (ASTM C 836):||PASS|
|Tensile Strength (ASTM D 412), PSI||250|
|Elongation (ASTM D 412), %:||700|
|Water Vapor Permeance|
(ASTM E 96, Procedure B) Perms:
|Service Temperature:||Not to exceed 175° F (80° C)|
|Nail Sealability (ASTM D 1970):||Pass|
|Storage and Application Temperature of AIR-SHIELD LSR|
For Roller Application:
For Spray Application:
|> 40° F (4° C)|
> 40° F (4° C)
|Air/Substrate Temperature (At Time of Application):||> 40° F (4° C)|
| Test Method || ASTM E 2178-01 || ASTM E 2357 |
|Pressure:||75 Pa (1.57 lb/ft.²)||75 Pa (1.57 lb/ft.²)|
|ABAA Requirements, maximum:||0.004 cfm/ft.²|
|AIR-SHIELD LSR Results:||<0.004 cfm/ft.²|
*Independent test available upon request
All surfaces must be clean (free of all coatings and curing compounds), structurally sound, and relatively smooth. Prepare substrate per manufacturers instruction prior to application of membrane.
Exterior Sheathing Panels
Exterior sheathing panels are to be installed and fastened per manufacturers recommendation. For detailed application information, see INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: JOINT TREATMENT OF EXTERIOR SHEATHING PANELS WHEN USING AIR-SHIELD FLUID APPLIED MEMBRANES.
Details and Protrusions
Before application of AIR-SHIELD LSR, apply a 6″ (152 mm) minimum wide strip [lapped 3″ (76 mm) on each side] of AIR-SHIELD self-adhering air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier where joints between dissimilar building materials occur, i.e. details around doors and windows, as well as protrusions.
Concrete Masonry Units
Before applying AIR-SHIELD LSR to CMU surfaces, patch all cracks, protrusions, small voids, offsets, details, irregularities, and small deformities with MEADOW-PATCH® 5 or MEADOW-PATCH 20 from W. R. MEADOWS at least two hours before application.
AIR-SHIELD LSR may be applied by spraying or a 3/4″ minimum nap roller. (For recommendations on spray equipment, consult W. R. MEADOWS technical staff.)
AIR-SHIELD LSR may be sprayed on at the minimum coverage rate of approximately 17-22 ft.²/gal. (80 mils wet) (40 mils dry). Note: For roller applications or during periods of extremely hot weather, two coats (40 mils wet) may be necessary if the material begins to slump. Apply second coat after first coat has completely dried, approximately one to two hours after first coat. Frequently inspect surface area with a wet mil gauge to ensure consistent thickness. Work material well into any fluted rib forming indentations. Porous masonry block walls may require additional coats to obtain desired thickness.
Curing and Drying
Allow material to dry at air and surface temperatures of 40° F (4° C) or higher. Curing times will be affected by relative humidity, temperature and airflow. The following times are given for average conditions and standard thicknesses. Actual times may differ, depending on specific conditions present on job at time of application. It is recommended that AIR-SHIELD LSR be allowed to air dry to a tack-free film before application of specified insulation. Maximum exposure time for AIR-SHIELD LSR is four months.
Tack-free film: 2 hours
Full cure: 48 hours
Uncured AIR-SHIELD LSR cleans up easily while wet with water. Cured material is best removed by xylene (xylol) or by mechanical means.
AIR-SHIELD LSR is not designed to perform as a permanently exposed membrane. Maximum UV exposure period for membrane is four months. Keep containers tightly sealed. KEEP FROM FREEZING. Do not apply AIR-SHIELD LSR if rainfall is forecast within 12 hours. Do not apply AIR-SHIELD LSR when air, material, and surface temperatures are expected to fall below 32º F (0º C) within 24 hours of completed application.
Please contact W. R. MEADOWS for specific details and/or data not outlined in this literature. Technical assistance, from design to product application, is available upon request.
May help contribute to LEED credits:
- EA Credit 1: Optimize Energy Performance
- IEQ Credit 3.1: Construction IAQ Management Plan: During Construction
- IEQ Credit 7.1: Thermal Comfort Design
- MR Credit 2: Construction Waste Management
- MR Credit 5: Regional Materials
300 Industrial Drive
P.O. Box 338
Hampshire, IL 60140
Tel: (800) 342-5976
Web site: http://www.wrmeadows.com