Safing™ Mineral Wool Firestopping Insulation
- Exceptional performance in Perimeter Fire Containment Systems
- Provides life saving fire protection in rated assemblies
- Fire resistant to temperatures above 2,000°F (1,093°C)
- Easy to fabricate for through penetrations and firestopping
- Conserves energy, reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Resists moisture
- Controls noise and sound
THERMAFIBER Safing™ products are designed to provide life saving fire protection in perimeter fire containment systems, floor and wall penetrations, construction joints, and other firestopping applications. These products are noncombustible, moisture-resistant, noncorrosive, nondeteriorating, mildew-proof and vermin-proof. Thermafiber Safing provides thermal insulation, fire protection, and acoustical control in many different UL and Intertek (formerly OPL) listed fire containment assemblies of 1, 2, and 3-hr ratings.
- Safing 4.0 pcf, 2" or greater thickness, is available with or without a vapor reatarding foil facing.
- Safing 6.0 pcf, 1.5" or greater thickness, is available with or without a vapor retarding foil facing.
- Recycled Content Options¹:
Standard Fiber (Compiles with EPA Preference Program)..................Minimum 75%
¹Recycled content options other than standard must be specified at time of order.
All firestopping insulation should be installed per the architectural specification or system specific test description. All compressed Safing insulation should be installed per the listed assembly.
- Perimeter Installation: Safing™ insulation should be compression fitted between the slab edge and the FireSpan curtain wall insulation, leaving no voids.
- Penetration Application: Safing insulation should be cut slightly larger than the opening and compression fitted into the opening, leaving no voids.
- Construction Joint Application: Safing insulation should be compression fitted into the joint opening, leaving no voids.
|Safing 4.0 pcf||1- 7||16, 24, 36||48, 60|
|Safing 6.0 pcf||1- 7||16, 24, 36||48, 60|
|Tolerances||+1/4 - 1/8||± 1/8||±1/2"|
|*Thicknesses are available in 1/2 increments. **Custom sizes are available upon request.|
| || || || ||Tested to ASTM E 84|
| || ||Tested to ASTM C 518||Unfaced||Foil Faced|
|Product Designation||Actual Density||k @ 75° [24°C] BTU.in/hr.sq. ft. °F||R value per inch of thickness***||Flame Spread||Smoke Developed||Flame Spread||Smoke Developed|
|Safing||4.0 pcf||0.24||R= 4.2||0||0||25||0|
|Safing||6.0 pcf||0.24||R= 4.2||0||0||25||0|
|***R = thickness divided by k|
Fire-Containment Tests Per ASTM E 2307
Safing ™ insulation is a critical component of any perimeter fire containment system. Thermafiber ® has performed decades of testing in all of the containment systems listed below. For more complete test information, see SA707, THERMAFIBER Life-Safety Fire Containment Systems technical catalog or UL ® and Intertek ® (formerly OPL) Directories. For a full listing of containment systems visit www.thermafiber.com and click on Fire Rated Assemblies. UL Reference = TYPE SAF
- Aluminum Spandrel Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Steel Stud-Framed/Gypsum Sheathing Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Glass Spandrel Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Granite Spandrel Curtain Wall Fire Containment
- Precast Concrete Spandrel
|Safing™ Insulation meets the following:|
|ASTM C 665||Non-corrosive, Type I, III|
|ASTM C 612||Type IA, IB, II|
|ASTM E 136||Rated Non-combustible per NFPA Standard 220|
|ASTM E 96||Unfaced, 50 Perms as tested|
|ASTM E 96||Foil Faced, 0.02 Perms as tested|
|ASTM C 1104||Absorption less than 1% by volume|
|ASTM E 814 or UL 1479||Safing Insulation used in conjunction with an approved fill, void, or cavity material sealant or other approved material in through penetration firestop systems.|
|UL 2079||Safing Insulation used in conjunction with an approved fill, void or cavity material in construction joint systems|
|Safing products are approved by: New York City Board of Standards & Appeals (under BSA 39-74-SM & accepted by MEA-209-82-M, Vol. 4).|
3711 Mill Street
Wabash, IN 46992
Toll Free: 1-888-834-2371
General Information Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Insolutions® Email: email@example.com
Website: www.thermafiber.com | www.ocbuildingspec.com