Rigid Plenum Liner
Knauf Insulation Rigid Plenum Liner with ECOSE® Technology is a heavy-density mat-faced glass mineral wool board insulation bonded with ECOSE Technology. Its base board is brown with a black mat facing to give the airstream a smooth, tough surface, that resists damage during installation and operation.ECOSE® Technology
ECOSE Technology is a revolutionary binder chemistry that enhances the sustainability of our products. The “binder” is the bond that holds our glass mineral wool product together and gives the product its shape and brown color. ECOSE Technology is a plant-based, sustainable chemistry that replaces the phenol/formaldehyde (PF) binder traditionally used in glass mineral wool products. Products using ECOSE technology are formaldehyde-free and have reduced global warming potential when compared to our products of the past.Application
Rigid Plenum Liner with ECOSE Technology is specifically designed as an interior insulation material for heating, ventilating and air conditioning plenums and sheet metal ducts. It offers an optimum combination of efficient sound absorption, low thermal conductivity and minimal air surface friction.Features
- Low thermal conductivity.
- Fire-resistant, non-corrosive.
- Tough and resilient.
- Certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free.
- Sustainability — Carbon negative: Knauf insulation products used for thermal insulating purposes recover the energy that it took to make them in just hours or a few days, depending on the application. Once installed, the product continues to save energy and reduce carbon generation as long as it is in place.
- Glass mineral wool insulation with ECOSE Technology contains three primary ingredients: sand, one of the world’s most abundant and renewable resources; post-consumer recycled bottle glass; and ECOSE Technology which reduces binder embodied energy by up to 70%.
- Better temperature control.
- Lower operating costs.
- Greatly reduces noise from fans and mechanical equipment as well as cross-talk and air movement.
- Withstands damage from normal handling and shop abuse.
- If necessary, can be cleaned in accordance with NAIMA’s “Cleaning Fibrous Glass Insulated Air Duct Systems Recommended Practices.”
- ASTM C 1071; Type II
- ASTM G 21
- GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®
- GREENGUARD Children and SchoolsSM
- California Title 24
- NFPA 90A and 90B
In Canada: Technical Data
Surface Burning Characteristics
- UL/ULC Classified.
- Does not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke Developed when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84, CAN/ULC S102-M88, NFPA 255 and UL 723.
Temperature Range (ASTM C 411)
- Up to 250°F (121°C). Max thick 3"
Air Velocity (ASTM C 1071)
- Maximum 5000 fpm (1524 mpm).
- Tested to 12,500 fpm (3810 mpm).
Corrosiveness (ASTM C 665)
- Does not accelerate corrosion on steel, copper or aluminum.
Corrosion (ASTM C 1617)
- The corrosion rate in mils/yr will not exceed that of the 1 ppm chloride solution.
Water Vapor Sorption (ASTM C 1104)
Microbial Growth (ASTM C 1338, G 21)
Application and Specification Guidelines
- Does not promote or support the growth of mold, fungi or bacteria.
Inside storage is recommended. Protect stored Rigid Plenum Liner from water damage or abuse. If stored outside, stack cartons on pallets and cover adequately to prevent moisture infiltration.
Fabrication and Application
Glass Mineral Wool and Mold
- Install Knauf Rigid Plenum Liner in metal duct and plenums operating at 250°F (121°C) service temperature or less and velocities of 5000 fpm (1524 mpm) or less.
- Liner shall be applied with the treated surface facing toward the air stream.
- Mechanical fasteners shall not compress the liner more than 1/8" (3.2 mm) and shall be installed perpendicular to the airstream surface. All fasteners must meet “Standard for Mechanical Fasteners-MF-1-1975.”
- Adhesives which conform to ASTM C 916 shall be applied to the sheet metal with at least 90% coverage.
- All internal duct areas designated to be lined shall be completely covered with liner. Transverse joints shall be firmly butted together with no gaps, and coated with adhesive. All exposed leading edges shall be coated with adhesive.
- Mechanical fasteners shall be used to secure the rigid plenum liner and spaced in accordance with the chart and diagram to the right.
- Corner joints shall be overlapped so no gaps are present. Top pieces shall be supported by side pieces.
- All longitudinal joints shall be coated with adhesive conforming to ASTM C 916 at velocities over 2500 fpm (762 mpm). All damaged areas to the airstream surface shall be repaired with an adhesive that conforms to ASTM C 916.
Glass mineral wool insulation will not sustain mold growth. However, mold can grow on almost any material when it becomes wet and contaminated. Carefully inspect any insulation that has been exposed to water. If it shows any sign of mold it must be discarded. If the material is wet but shows no evidence of mold, it should be dried rapidly and thoroughly. If it shows signs of facing degradation from wetting, it should be replaced. Air handling insulation used in the air stream must be discarded if exposed to water.Notes
The chemical and physical properties of Knauf Rigid Plenum Liner with ECOSE® Technology represent typical average values determined in accordance with accepted test methods. The data is subject to normal manufacturing and testing variations. The data is supplied as a technical service and and is subject to change without notice. References to numerical flame spread ratings are not intended to reflect hazards presented by these or any other materials under actual fire conditions. When condensation is permitted to occur between nested Rigid Plenum Liner and galvanized steel panels, discoloration of the metal may occur.
Check with your Knauf Insulation sales repersentative to assure information is current.GREENGUARD Certification
Knauf Insulation products with ECOSE Technology contain no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors. These products are certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free. For more information, visit: www.ul.com/gg