MemBrain™ Continuous Air Barrier & Smart Vapor Retarder
Moisture in homes is unavoidable, making moisture in wall cavities nearly inevitable - and dangerous if not properly addressed. CertainTeed's MemBrain™ Continuous Air Barrier & Smart Vapor Retarder is the industry's most advanced technology to create a better performing home.
In "mixed-climate" parts of the country, where homes heat in the winter and cool in the summer, homes using traditional polyethylene vapor retarders may actually trap moisture in the cavity during the summer - raising the risk of costly moisture and mold issues, structural damage, health consequences and liability.
This patented, revolutionary solution can provide a continuous air barrier along with advanced moisture management in a single product, helping achieve Complete Comfort. It's another reason why choosing CertainTeed means you're installing much more than trusted high-performance insulation products.You're installing confidence.
Remains tight in winter when humidity in the cavity is low to prevent moisture from entering.
Increases permeability in summer to let moisture escape, helping to keep the wall dry.
- Continuous indoor air barrier* creates a better performing building envelope.
- Dynamic performance and permeance rating compared to traditional kraft insulation or polyethylene sheeting.
- Senses and adapts permeance to varying humidity throughout the year to keep the cavity dry.
- When installed with standard tape and sealing practices, creates an air barrier that has been tested under stringent performance guidelines.
Where to Use MemBrain
Vapor retarders are required by code in zones 4C and above. However, MemBrain is ideal for any area where the home cools in the summer and heats in the winter.
These insulation products may qualify for rebates and other incentives.
Applicable Standards and Codes:
- ASTM C 665 Section 7.4, Water-Vapor Permeance
- ASTM E 96
- ASTM E 84 Surface burning characteristics: Max. Flame Spread Index: 20; Max. Smoke Developed Index: 55
Water Vapor Permeance
- 1.0 perm (57ng/Pa•s•m2) (ASTM E 96, Desiccant method)
- > 10 perms (572ng/Pa•s•m2) (ASTM E 96, Water method)
- ASTM C 665 - No unusual aspect of corrosion such as pitting, cracking and adhesive cure inhibition