AIR-SHIELD LM - Liquid Membrane Air/Vapor & Liquid Moisture Barrier
AIR-SHIELD LM is a single-component, liquid-applied, water- based, polymer-modified air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier. AIR-SHIELD LM cures to form a tough, seamless, elastomeric membrane, which exhibits excellent resistance to air and moisture transmission.
AIR-SHIELD LM has been specifically formulated to act as an air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier within the building envelope. It may be applied to most common surfaces and integrated into various wall systems. AIR-SHIELD LM is suitable for both new construction and restoration.
- Low permeability - prevents the transmission of air and inhibits moisture and vapor from passing through porous building materials.
- Highly flexible - bridges cracks, which may form in the substrate.
- Environmentally compatible - AIR-SHIELD LM is non-toxic.
- User friendly single-component, water-based technology allows for simple, safe application and easy cleanup.
- Liquid applied - simplifies detailing and assures a monolithic, seamless membrane when applied to a rough or smooth surface.
- Sprayable - with appropriately configured airless spray equipment - low application costs.
- Excellent adhesion - remains firmly bonded to the substrate, even when applied over damp surfaces.
- VOC content is 0.0 g/L. Produces no harmful odors.
- Compatible with other asphalt-based emulsion products.
- May be applied to green concrete.
- Self-sealing Nails and fasteners can be used without compromising performance.
5 Gallon (18.93 L) Pails
55 Gallon (208.20 L) Drums**
**Available upon special order only
Application Rate 20 - 25 ft.2/gal. (0.49 - 0.61 m2/L)
Wet Film Thickness 60 mil
Cured Film Thickness 45 mil (1.15 mm)
Coverage dependent on substrate type, weather, and application conditions.
Six months in unopened container. Do not store in temperatures over 90° F (32.2° C) or below 32° F (0° C).
- Exceeds Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA) Section 07262 requirements for fluid-applied air barriers.
- Exceeds ABAA maximum assembly air leakage requirements when tested in accordance with ASTM E 2357.
- Exceeds the requirements of the Massachusetts Commercial Energy Code for Building Envelope Systems.
- Meets CAN/CGSB-51-33, Type I Water Vapor Permeance Requirements
- 2005 National Building Code of Canada
- Complies with all current federal, state, and local maximum allowable VOC requirements, including U.S. EPA, LADCO, SCAQMD, and OTC.
- Complies with Canada VOC Concentration Limits for Architectural Coatings Regulations.
| % Solids ||70|
| VOC Content ||0 g/L|
| Color ||Black|
| Elongation (ASTM D-412)||1500%|
| Water Vapor Permeance |
(ASTM E-96, Procedure B)
|IBC Class I Vapor Retarder |
0.1 Perms or Less
| Service Temperature ||-20° - 140° F|
(-29° C - 60° C)
| Application Temperature ||Above 30° F (-1° C)|
| Storage Temperature ||40° F - 90° F (4° C - 30° C)|
Surface Preparation ... All surfaces must be clean (free of all coatings and curing compounds), structurally sound, and relatively smooth. Prepare substrate per manufacturers instruction prior to application of membrane.
Exterior Sheathing Panels ... Exterior sheathing panels are to be installed and fastened per manufacturers recommendation. For detailed application information, see INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: JOINT TREATMENT OF EXTERIOR SHEATHING PANELS WHEN USING AIR-SHIELD FLUID APPLIED MEMBRANES available at www.wrmeadows.com.
Rough Openings and Protrusions ... Refer to application details at wrmeadows.com for recommendations on protrusions and rough openings.
Concrete Masonry Units ... Before applying AIR-SHIELD LM to CMU surfaces, patch all cracks, protrusions, small voids, offsets, details, irregularities, and small deformities with MEADOW-PATCH® 5 or MEADOW-PATCH 20 from W. R. MEADOWS at least two hours before application.
Application Method ... AIR-SHIELD LM may be applied by spraying or a 3/4"(19 mm) minimum nap roller. (For recommendations on spray equipment, consult W. R. MEADOWS technical staff.)
Thoroughly, mechanically mix AIR-SHIELD LM prior to application. AIR-SHIELD LM may be sprayed on at the minimum coverage rate above. Note: For roller applications or during periods of extremely hot weather, two coats (30 mils wet) may be necessary if the material begins to slump. Apply second coat after first coat has completely dried (approximately one to two hours) after first coat. Frequently inspect surface area with a wet mil gauge to ensure consistent thickness. Work material well into any fluted rib forming indentations. Porous masonry block walls may require additional coats to obtain desired thickness. AIR-SHIELD LM may be exposed to open air for 30 40 days, depending on specific weather conditions at jobsite.
Curing and Drying ... Allow material to dry at air and surface temperatures of 30° F (-1° C) or higher. Curing times will be affected by relative humidity, temperature, and airflow. The following times are given for average conditions and standard thicknesses. Actual times may differ, depending on specific conditions present on job at time of application. It is recommended that AIR-SHIELD LM be allowed to air dry to a tack-free film before application of specified insulation.
Tack-free film: 1 hour
Full cure: 48 hours
Cleanup ... Uncured AIR-SHIELD LM cleans up easily while wet with water. Cured material is best removed by xylene (xylol) or by mechanical means.
AIR-SHIELD LM is not designed to perform as a permanently exposed membrane. Keep containers tightly sealed. KEEP FROM FREEZING. Do not apply AIR-SHIELD LM if rainfall is forecast or imminent. Do not apply AIR-SHIELD LM when air, material, and surface temperatures are expected to fall below 30º F (-1º C) within four hours of completed application.
May help contribute to LEED credits:
- EA Credit 1: Optimize Energy Performance
- IEQ Credit 3.1: Construction Indoor Air Quality Management Plan: During Construction
- IEQ Credit 4.2: Low-Emitting Materials Paints and Coatings
- IEQ Credit 7.1: Thermal Comfort - Design
- MR Credit 2: Construction Waste Management
- MR Credit 5: Regional Materials
300 Industrial Drive
P.O. Box 338
Hampshire, IL 60140
Tel: (800) 342-5976
Web site: http://www.wrmeadows.com