LS20 High Integrity Beam Shutter
The Lasermet LS-20 Laser Safety Shutter is intended to provide a means of preventing accidental exposure to a potentially harmful laser beam. The unit has been designed to form part of a high-integrity safety system, featuring a gravity-close blade and force-disconnect proving contacts.
LS 20 Product Details:
- Control Functions: When closed, the LS 20 deflects the incoming laser beam onto an internal beam dump where the energy is converted to heat which is dissipated in the aluminum casing of the shutter. When the shutter is open, the laser beam passes through the shutter without interruption.
- ‘SIL3’ version: when correctly wired to a Lasermet Interlock Control System (ICS 5, etc.) , it can provide a safety interlock which meets Safety Integrity Level 3 to EN 61508
- Connection to Beam Tube: LS-20 has 16 mm diameter entry and exit apertures. These are threaded and beam tubes can be supplied to fit to the shutter case and enclose the laser beam.
- High Power Laser Use: The maximum average power for use with the internal beam dump is 20 W. However for higher power lasers, the beam dump can be easily removed by unscrewing it from the side of the shutter case. Beam tubes can be fitted and the beam can be directed to a remote beam dump. This allows the shutter to be used for much higher powers, even for multi-kilowatt lasers.
- Shutter Blade Options: The shutter blade is made of stainless steel which is sufficient for most applications. However, standard front silvered or dielectric mirrors can be factory fitted to the blade if required. This is generally recommended for average powers in excess of 20W when the remote beam dump option is being used. It may also be advisable when using Q-switched lasers as these can cause some minor ablation of the blade even when the average power is below 20W.
- Connections: The LS-20 shutter is equipped with an M6 female thread in the base, located under the beam centerline. An anti-rotation slot is also provided in the base into which a second M6 stud should be located to prevent the shutter turning or coming unscrewed. The slot allows for posts on imperial and metric optical breadboards.
- Laser Beam Power Measurement: When fitted with a mirror, the LS-20 facilitates easy laser beam power measurement. The beam dump can be removed and a laser power meter detector head fitted to the side of the shutter. In this way a power or energy reading can be obtained whenever the shutter is in the closed state.