Earthwool® Insulation Board
Knauf Insulation Earthwool® Insulation Board with ECOSE® Technology is a thermal and acoustical insulation product bonded with ECOSE Technology. It is available plain, with a factory-applied FSK facing, PSK (metalized polypropylene-scrim-kraft) or all-service jacket (ASJ).ECOSE® Technology
ECOSE Technology is a revolutionary binder chemistry that enhances the sustainability of our products. The “binder” is the bond that holds our glass mineral wool product together and gives the product its shape and brown color. ECOSE Technology is a plant-based, sustainable chemistry that replaces the phenol/formaldehyde (PF) binder traditionally used in glass mineral wool products. Products using ECOSE technology are formaldehyde-free and have reduced global warming potential when compared to our products of the past.Application
Insulation Board with ECOSE Technology is a versatile product for thermal and acoustical applications such as: heating and air conditioning ducts, power and process equipment, boiler and stack installations, metal and masonry walls, wall and roof panel systems, curtain wall assemblies and cavity walls.Features and Benefits
- Excellent thermal efficiency results in lower operating costs.
- Lightweight, easy to handle and fabricate.
- Fast, easy installation lowers labor costs.
- Low emitting for indoor air quality considerations
- Excellent acoustical properties effectively reduce noise
- FSK, PSK, and ASJ+ vapor-retardant facings provide a neat finished appearance
- Carbon negative: meaning Knauf Insulation insulation products used for thermal insulating purposes recover the energy that it took to make them in just hours or a few days, depending on the application. Once installed, the product continues to save energy and reduce carbon generation as long as it is in place.
- Glass mineral wool insulation with ECOSE® Technology contains three key ingredients:
- Sand, one of the world’s most abundant resources
- A minimum of 50% recycled content and UL Environment verification every 6 months
- ECOSE® Technology which reduces binder embodied energy by up to 70%
- It reduces its Global Warming Potential (GWP) by approximately 4%, a significant reduction in our carbon footprint
- UL/ULC Classified (FSK, ASJ)
- ASTM C 612
- Type IA (1.6, 2.25, 3.0, 4.25, 6.0 pcf) (26, 36, 48, 68, 96 kg/m3)
- Type IB (3.0, 4.25, 6.0 pcf) (48, 68, 96 kg/m3)
- ASTM C 795
- NRC Reg. Guide1.36. (Certification needs to be specified at time of order)
- ASTM C 1136 (facings)
- Type I, II, III, IV (ASJ)
- Type II, IV (FSK, PSK)
- California Title 24
- HH-B-100B; Type I (ASJ facing), Type II (FSK, PSK facings)
- Form A, Class 1 (1.6, 2.25, 3.0, 4.25, 6.0 pcf) (26, 36, 48, 68, 96 kg/m3)
- Form A, Class 2 (3.0, 4.25, 6.0 pcf) (48, 68, 96 kg/m3)
Indoor Air Quality
- CAN/ULC S102-M88
- CGSB 51-GP-10M
- CGSB 51-GP-52M (facings)
- UL Environment certified
- UL Environment GREENGUARD Gold certified
- UL Environment validated to be formaldehyde-free
- This product complies with Oregon Revised Statute 453.085 and contains less than 0.10% decabromdiphenyl ether (DecaBDE) by mass
- Tested and certified to meet all requirements of EUCEB
Surface Burning Characteristics (UL Classified)
- Unfaced or composite (insulation, facing and adhesive) does not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke Developed when tested in acordance with UL 723, CAN/ULC S102-M88, ASTM E 84, NFPA 90A and 90B and NFPA 255.
Temperature Range (ASTM C 411)
- Operating temperatures from 0°F to 450°F (-18°C to 232°C)
Corrosiveness (ASTM C 665)
- Will not accelerate corrosion of aluminum, steel or copper.
Corrosion (ASTM C 1617)
- The corrosion rate in mils/yr will not exceed that of the 1 ppm chloride solution.
Puncture Resistance (TAPPI Test T803) (Beach Units)
- FSK, PSK Facings: 25
- ASJ facing: 50
- ASK+ Facing: 120
Water Vapor Transmission (ASTM E 96, Procedure A)
- FSK, PSK and ASJ vapor retarders have a maximum vapor transmission rate of .02 perms.
Water Vapor Sorption (ASTM C 1104)
- Less than 5% by weight when exposed to air at 120°F (49°C) and 95% humidity for 96 hours.
Shrinkage (ASTM C 356)
- Less than 0.3% linear shrinkage.
Resists Microbial Growth (ASTM C 1338, G21)
Application & Specification Guidelines
- Does not promote or support the growth of mold, fungi or bacteria.
- Protect material from water damage or other abuse. Cartons are not designed for outside storage. Vacuum packaged material can be stored outside if care is taken not to puncture the poly bag.
- Apply the product on clean, dry surfaces. Metal ducts must be sealed before applica tion. Prescore rigid insulation board where necessary to conform to curved surfaces.
- All insulation joints must be firmly butted. Insulation can be secured with adhesive, mechanical fasteners or banded. Minimum compression is to be used to assure firm fit and still maintain thermal performance.
- Vapor retarders should overlap a minimum of 2" (51 mm) at all seams, and be sealed with appropriate pressure sensitive tape or mastic. When applying pressure sensitive tapes, the tape must be firmly rubbed with a proper sealing tool to make sure the closure is secure. Follow tape manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Fasteners shall be located a maximum of 3" (76 mm) from each edge and spaced no greater than 18" (457 mm) on center.
- Where vapor retarder performance is necessary, all penetrations and facing damage shall be repaired with tapes or mastic with a minimum of 2" (51 mm) overlap. Tapes should be applied using a sealing tool and moving pressure. Use on ducts, plenums, vessels, tanks and equipment operating at tem peratures of 450°F (232°C) or less.
- Tapes and mastics (dry) should have a UL 723 rating of 25 flame spread, 50 smoke developed.
DUCTS AND PLENUMS:
- Use 3.0 pcf (48 kg/m3) insulation board in concealed areas.
- Use 6.0 pcf (96 kg/m3) insulation board in exposed areas.
- Insulation Board is not designed to be exposed to the airstream.
VESSELS, TANKS AND EQUIPMENT:
- For irregular surfaces, use 1.6 pcf (26 kg/m3) insulation board and band with minimum compression.
- For outdoor application, Knauf Insulation Board must be covered with appropriate jacketing, mastic or other vapor retarder. All exposed surfaces must be protected.
- Apply jacketing, mastics and other vapor retarders in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- During initial heat-up to operating temperatures above 350°F (177°C), a slight odor and some smoke may be givenoff as a portion of the bonding material used in the insulation begins to undergo a controlled decomposition.
- If natural convection is not adequate in confined areas, forced ventilation should be provided in order to protect against any harmful fumes and vapors that might be generated.
Glass mineral wool may cause temporary skin irritation. Wear long-sleeved, loose-fitting clothing, head covering, gloves and eye protection when handling and applying material. Wash with soap and warm water after handling. Wash work clothes separately and rinse washer. A disposable mask designed for nuisance type dusts should be used where sensitivity to dust and airborne particles may cause irritation to the nose or throat.Glass Mineral Wool and Mold
Glass mineral wool insulation will not sustain mold growth. However, mold can grow on almost any material when it becomes wet and contaminated. Carefully inspect any insulation that has been exposed to water. If it shows any sign of mold it must be discarded. If the material is wet but shows no evidence of mold, it should be dried rapidly and thoroughly. If it shows signs of facing degradation from wetting, it should be replaced.Notes
The chemical and physical properties of Knauf Insulation Board with ECOSE™ Technology represent typical average values determined in accordance with accepted test methods. The data is subject to normal manufacturing variations. The data is supplied as a technical service and is subject to change without notice. References to numerical flame spread ratings are not intended to reflect hazards presented by these or any other materials under actual fire conditions. Check with your Knauf Insulation sales representative to assure information is current.
Vacuum packaging Knauf Insulation products will reduce some mechanical properties of the insulation. By ordering vacuum packaged products, the customer acknowledges these reduced properties and assumes responsibility for the fitness for use in their application. GREENGUARD Certification
Knauf Insulation products with ECOSE Technology contain no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors. These products are certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free.