ECOSEAL Plus™ Sealant
Knauf Insulation ECOSEAL Plus™ with Gasket Pro Technology, is a fast drying, water-based elastomeric spray that seals penetrations and joints in the building envelope, as well as provides a gasket between studs and drywall. ECOSEAL Plus™ dries to a flexible tough film and has great bond strength with low odor and zero V.O.C’s. ECOSEAL Plus™ should be used with Knauf Insulation EcoBatts® or Knauf Insulation Premium Blowing Wool Insulation. Together, they form the ECOSEAL Plus™ System-a high performance, continuous and affordable air and thermal barrier for the building envelope.
For more information, including product literature and installer training details, visit the ECOSEAL Plus™ minisite here.Kit Description
ECOSEAL Plus™ was engineered to utilize commonly available airless spray equipment. This helps keep costs low and allows easy maintanence. Knauf Insulation has collected all the compo-nents in a convenient kit that contractors will need to start sealing immediately. These components include a GRACO Ultra Max 795 Airless Sprayer with 50 feet of hose, a 6 foot whip hose, spray gun, two nozzle extensions, tip guard and two spray tips. Also included is a hose reel, a digital display and an adapter/plug to enable the usage of two hoses simultaneously. Replacement parts and other accessories can be purchased at most paint supply stores.Application
Knauf Insulation ECOSEAL Plus™ is applied directly from the bucket, with no thinning or mixing. Using an airless sprayer, typical drying time allows the installation of EcoBatt Insulation or Knauf Insulation Premium Blowing Insulation in just a few hours, in most cases. Once cured, it remains flexible over a wide range of temperatures. ECOSEAL Plus™ is designed to be installed by trained applicators. For training, go to ecoseal.knaufinsulation.us. Features and BenefitsTop plate gasket
- ECOSEAL Plus™ with Gasket Pro Technology meets need for top plate gasketing.
- ECOSEAL Plus™ is durable and cannot be damaged during drywall installation ensuring the air seal stays in tact after visual inspection.
Total envelope solution.
- ECOSEAL Plus™ sealant combined with EcoBatt Insulation or Knauf Insulation Premium Blowing Wool is a lower cost, more sustainable alternative to foam insulation while delivering equal or superior performance characteristics.
Trade-friendly, no schedule delays
- Delivers air flow resistance to the whole structure, not just the cavities.
- Seals areas traditional spray foams cannot. Trade-friendly, no schedule delays.
Significant acoustical Benefits
- Unlike many foams, ECOSEAL Plus™ does not involve mixing hazardous chemicals at the jobsite, nor does it generate hazardous offgassing during cure. Therefore, ECOSEAL Plus™ is safe to spray and dries quickly-so other trades stay on site and on schedule.
ECOSEAL Plus™ fills the gaps
- ECOSEAL Plus™, when used in combination with Knauf Insulation EcoBatts or Knauf Insulation Premium Blowing Insulation (ECOSEAL Plus™ System), provides superior acoustical performance.
Few temperature limitations for storage and application
- ECOSEAL Plus™ penetrates gaps as small as ⅛". It coats the face of gaps smaller than this, like the joint of double plate. Sealing gaps larger than ⅜" should be backfilled prior to sealing with ECOSEAL Plus™.
- It should be stored in a dry location with a temperature above 50°F.
- Can be applied from 20° to 125°F, as long as the sealant is fluid in the bucket (a portable heater may be necessary in cold conditions).
- ECOSEAL Plus™ cleans up with water; no chemical solvents required.
Technical Specifications Shelf Life
- Meets or exceeds all state and federal VOC requirements for architectural sealants.
- VOCs: 0
- 18 months in unopened containers.
- Approximately 2400 linear feet per bucket when applied at a ¼" bead.
- Application 20°F to 125°F
- Storage: 50°F to 120°F
Note: Buckets should not be stored directly on cold concrete floors. Portable jobsite heaters are recommended when ambient temperature falls below 40°F. Protect from freezing. If frozen, completely thaw prior to use. Material must be allowed to thaw completely and be above freezing when sprayed. Once completely thawed, stir bucket for 60 seconds prior to spraying. Passes five freeze-thaw cycles.Surface Burning Characteristics
Sound Transmission (Acoustics)
- Does not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke
- Developed when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.
- In comparative testing per ASTM E90, ECOSEAL Plus™ provided a significant sound transmission reduction (10 dB) versus unsealed walls.
- Approximately 27 lbs. (12.3 kg.)
- Does not support microbial growth.
- Excellent resistance to mold and mildew.
Knauf Insulation ECOSEAL Plus™ sealant is packaged in a 5 gallon pail. It ships 36 pails per pallet and 12 pails per pallet.Installation of the ECOSEAL Plus™ System
While the ECOSEAL Plus™ System is relatively simple, Knauf Insulation offers installer training on the ECOSEAL Plus™ website to ensure installers understand all of the important details necessary to achieve optimal performance. In addition, further training can be arranged through your Knauf Insulation sales representative. Knauf Insulation recommends that ECOSEAL Plus™ qualified installers be used wherever available.Notes
The chemical and physical properties of Knauf Insulation ECOSEAL Plus™ sealant represent typical average values determined in accordance with accepted test methods. The data is supplied as technical service and is subject to change without notice. References to numerical flame spread ratings are not intended to reflect hazards presented by these or any other materials under actual fire conditions.
Check with your Knauf Insulation sales representative to assure information is current.